Before, when I worked late, I would see people who thought differently than me. For the most part they liked the work, it was not too intense, the bosses where either gone or of a like persona, and they had time to during the day to take of stuff.
For my part, I did not mind the second shift as a bachelor. If I got off before Midnight, I would go right to bed and have almost a full day (including the all important business hours to renew drivers license's etc) to live. It was somewhat of a bummer to not be able to things at night, like parties or get together's, but I didn't have any type of night life, so that was not an issue.
Third shift work however, is something different.
There is no seeing other people at the supermarket or at restaurants, because I am in a basement working.
It is not so much not having the night to myself that I mourn, but the loss of day.
I come home from work, just as my wife is leaving for work, go to bed shortly after and wake up just before she comes home if not after she comes home.
No big deal there, but I sleep through the day.
I have given up the daytime, sunlight, interacting with other people during business hours for my current job.
Even prayers like the Morning Offering no longer seem relevant, and I don't think the Liturgy of the Hours has a format for people who work at night and sleep during the day.
I realized taking a third shift position would stretch me, get me out of my comfort zone and let me do things I have not done before, that is, working a night shift job.
Although being stretched and getting outside of my comfort zone is good, I face the fact that I know longer sleep beside my wife.
I am not there to help with the kid (or kids depending on when you read this post) when they wake up at night. Although, my wife has mentioned it is easier for her to take care of the baby herself than to wake me up.
I am not there to help her get the kid(s) ready in the morning, to fix her coffee, to just be with her.
My son though, really likes watching for me in the morning and taking my lunch box from me at the door, drag/carry it to kitchen and unload it after someone opens it for him.
Still, I would rather be there when he wakes up than meet him at the door just before he goes to the sitters.
I took this job knowing it was a night shift position. I just did not fully realize what that meant.
This is an interesting reflection. It points out how the decisions we make in life- choosing one thing over another- often have both desirable and undesirable consequences. Taking a new job allows a person to better provide for his/her family and gives valuable work experience, but the work hours may cause some inconvenience. This duality seems to be present in so many situations and decisions, from making a major purchase to making vacation plans to deciding whether to take a medication. We make decisions that we think will be best overall, knowing that there may often be some trade-offs or sacrifices. Opportunities seem to rarely be one-sided.
ReplyDeleteThe "flip" side of this is that decisions or changes we face often surprise us with some good opportunities. In my experience I find it helpful to try and look at these situations for the good that is in them. I believe that God gently guides our lives if we are open to him, and many of the opportunities that come along are given from him to help us grow and stretch beyond our comforts and preferences, becoming more and more the people God made us to be. This has helped me appreciate and welcome change more than I could on my own.
That said, I admire the author for making this sacrifice. I understand his dilemma and hope that he is soon able to move to a job/shift that allows him to return to the more regular schedule he seeks.